Woo her back with these 24 fun creative writing prompts
All right! It’s writing time!
You’ve got the house or office to yourself, there’s a hot cup of tea or coffee beside you, and you have a notebook and your favourite pen in hand.
Then you look down at that blank page in front of you and realize you have NO IDEA what you want to write.
No matter how hard you stare at the page, your Muse taunts you with her absence.
You beg her to send you a spark of inspiration, but she doesn’t answer. The more you beg, and plead, and cajole, the further away she runs.
The thing is, you can’t bully your Muse into paying you a visit.
You have to WOO her.
And the easiest way to entice her to join you is to write about something else — something fun and entirely carefree — that gets your creative juices flowing BEFORE you get down to the business of business writing.
Because once you fire up your writing engine and start having FUN with your words, your Muse will zero in on you like the heat-seeking missile she is.
So, to help you get started, here are 24 fun creative writing prompts that will help you unlock the doors to your creative brain and send out the signal to your Muse that you’re ready, willing, and eager to play.
Have fun with them!
- If you rubbed a lamp and a genie popped out, what 3 wishes would you make?
- If you were on death row, what would your last meal be?
- Write a story about your worst date ever.
- What were you like when you were five?
- Your thoughts on a controversial topic in the news.
- What are the biggest items on your bucket list?
- Describe a recent dream you had.
- Describe your high school crush. What do you think he/she is like now?
- What would you do if you won $100 million?
- Which historical figure would you most like to go out for a drink with?
- What foreign country do you most want to visit and why?
- What imaginary technology would you most like to see invented? How would it change the world?
- Describe a commonplace object through the eyes of an alien who doesn’t understand its purpose.
- Make up an imaginary national holiday that you’d like to make a reality. What does it commemorate and how do we celebrate it?
- Write a different ending to one of your favourite movies. For example, what would have happened if Darth Vader threw Luke down the reactor shaft instead of Emperor Palpatine?
- If you could have any two super powers, what would they be?
- If you could be #1 at any sport, what would it be?
- If you could live the life of any celebrity for a week, who would you choose to be?
- Write a letter to someone 1,000 years in the past telling them what life is like today. What do you most want them to know?
- Imagine someone 1,000 years in the future writing a letter to YOU. What does their world look like? What do they want you to know?
- You’re worried that your roommate is possessed by a demon. How is he/she acting? What do you do?
- What is your favourite conspiracy? Why do you love it? Do you think there’s any truth to it?
- Do you think aliens exist? What it would be like to meet an alien species for the first time? Assuming they’re friendly, how will this encounter change humanity and how we view our role in the universe?
- Write about the first thing that comes to your mind and see where your thoughts take you – GO!
The great thing is, you don’t have to spend very long on these activities to attract your Muse’s attention. If you’re pressed for time, set a timer and don’t let yourself write longer than 10 minutes.
As you write, don’t worry about your grammar or choosing the perfect words to express your thoughts – just get your ideas down on the page as fast as you can, knowing that you can always go back and edit your writing later if you want.
By kicking off your writing session with a short, fun, no-pressure writing activity, you will warm up your creative muscle and find it so much easier to produce great stuff when you turn your attention back to your business writing!